Monday, February 21, 2011

Books 6 and 7

I've finished; "The Innswich Horror; by Edward Lee and I really got a kick out of it. It is grim and quite disgusting, not for those of refined sensibility, but quirky and endearing in an odd way.

The plot is pretty straightforward; a fan of H.P. Lovecraft's goes on a bus tour of coastal Massachusetts to look at and experience the places his Idol wandered and found inspiration in. On his trip he stumbles upon a happy, prosperous little town that he slowly concludes must have been the inspiration for the fictional town of Innmouth. Then lots of creepy things start happening. It's gross and adorable and disturbing. I loved it.

I also finished; "City of Dreams and Nightmare;" by Ian Whates. I enjoyed this one too, I must be a record breaking roll picking out so many good books in a row. There are really two interwoven tales here, or one tale with two heroes who's stories lightly intersect. There is Tom, the street nick, and Tylus, the Kite Guard, and they are each enmeshed in a story of backstabbing and intrigue that comes to include the highest citizens to the lowest. Well written, believable, likable characters and a compelling location make it well worth reading. The city is multi-layered in structure, built in tiers sometime in the distant past. The lowest levels house the poorest of the population and the higher one travels; the richer and more important are the residents. I really don't want to spoil the plot and I have to keep stopping myself from saying too much, so I'm going to stop here and say; this is a wonderful story and I believe it is Ian Whate's first.

No comments:

Post a Comment